Thread: Dremel question
View Single Post
Old 2007-04-05, 3:11pm
Missing presumed fed

If you buy the cordless Dremel, you might want to buy an extra battery if you do long sessions. I mostly used my cordless back in my polymer clay days (long ago) and I'd keep an extra battery charging because one always seemed to run out when I was using it. I used to make polymer eggs that I had to sand forever, though -- you could clean a heck of a lot of beads in the time I'd spend in a sanding session, so maybe an extra battery isn't as important for bead cleaning.

I switched to my corded Dremel because I could get a flex-shaft attachment for it. I find the flex-shaft is easier on the hand, but it didn't fit the cordless (at least not my cordless -- whether it fits the newer models, I couldn't say.) Now if only the foot pedal attachment fit my Dremel -- but that fits only the single-speed Dremel, and I have a variable speed. (Yes, I know, what I really want is a real jeweler's flex-shaft machine, but I already have the Dremel.)

You probably don't want one of the kits with the bazillions of little parts and attachments. I found that the written materials that come with Dremels aren't useful at all, so I have no idea what to do with most of mine. I don't even know what to call them. The adjustable chuck is a good thing to have. It takes the place of the collet set. (In case you need an explanation -- I certainly would have: a Dremel tool is really just a motor that makes anything you stick in the end spin around. They come with a holder in the end called a collet. When you buy a Dremel, it comes with one collet that's meant to accept attachments with a shaft diameter of a certain size, and of course I can't remember what it is. Let's say 1/8", just for grins. Most of the Dremel brand attachments will be that shaft diameter, but not all, and you might want to use attachments that are a different brand and have a different shaft diameter. There are two ways to do this. Both ways are inexpensive. One is to buy a set of 4 (I think) different sizes of collets from Dremel. You just pick the one that fits the attachment you want to use and change the one on your Dremel to fit. The other way is to buy an adjustable chuck that substitutes for the collet entirely. You take the collet off your Dremel, put on the chuck, and screw it wider or narrower to fit whatever attachment you're using. Piece of cake. Both should be available at Home Depot or similar places where they have the little Dremel attachments hanging on pegs.)