View Single Post
Old 2006-07-15, 8:39am
PyronamixK

What you are saying about the poor oxygen concentration causng a reduction flame is correct: it does that. It does not carbon up your torch to run a reduction flame as long as you're not running it short and soft.

Normal candles for boro would range from 1/4" to 1", with 1/2" being average. The longer the candles, the more yellow tipped they can be. You don't want tips on candles under 1/4".

Pressure also comes into play when using the Triple Mix feature. The Lynx does not need a lot of volume, but when you want to use the little injectors (blue knob) to their fullest, you will need more pressure to force the oxygen through the tiny tubes the more you turn it on.

Wally tested a Millenium 10 (5 LPM at 10 psi, I believe) and that ran the Lynx at about 50%.

I use an Integra 10 (10 LPM at 9 psi). I would say that it runs the Lynx at about 90%. I just can't get that last little bit of the top end out of the torch. I can get an aggressive driving flame (using the inner oxygen jets to sharpen it up and add extra thrust to the overall flame), but just not the last little bit of it that would be there if I were on tanked oxygen. I get it to a certain point, and then the pressure just isn't there to push the additional oxygen through the inner jets while the outer ones are going strong. Does that make sense?

But, that does not keep me from being able to work boro with that concentrator. That top end is such a small range, that I really don't ever need it for what I do, which is soft glass and small boro these days. I will have to run some tests like how big a boro gather I can make in a certain amount of time, etc., but I won't be able to do that for a while. But, even on tanks, it only takes somewhere around 12 psi to get everything out of that torch. The flow rate measured at top end was 14 CF/hr.

I hope this helps.