View Single Post
Old 2006-08-16, 6:18am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster
The theory behind the Betta is that the less restriction there is (hence the bigger inlets, manifold, valves, etc.), the more free-flowing the gas, and the lower the pressure you need. But the funny part is that all the big valves and stuff means nothing as soon as you get into the actual body of the torch because the jets are THE SAME SIZE/NUMBER/CONFIGURATION AS THE PIRANHA. All that free flowing gas gets restricted after all. It still requires the same old pressure to get the gas through those tubes.
They are different. The Piranha has 6 ports. The Betta has 5. I don't know about the rest of it, but I can tell you it's not the same torch.

I have used them side by side, and the Betta is hotter. As I'm sure you know, just like GTT torches, Beths use the same center fire on all their larger torches. Bethlehem uses the Piranha as the center fire on the Barracuda and everything larger. I own a Tiger Shark, Barracuda, and Betta. I have used all of them on the same settings. I have used them all on tanked oxygen and on single and dual concentrators. I have not used any of them on natural gas since we don't have a gas connection - they have all been on propane. But, I can tell you that the Betta is hotter on the same pressure than the center fire (Piranha) of either of my larger torches. I don't have any way to measure the actual temperature, obviously, but just form using them, I can tell you the Betta is hotter.

I'll be glad to perform some test cuts if anyone would find that info useful. However, I've never done that, so someone would have to share some insight as to the best way to do it consistently from torch to torch. I would imagine on a lathe, but I don't have access to one.

The Betta does run better on a single concentrator than a Minor. A lot better. We own 6 Minors that we use for classes. I'm getting rid of all of them and replacing them with Bettas. I haven't compared the Betta to a Mini CC or anything GTT, so I can't comment on that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cosmo; 2006-08-16 at 6:23am.