View Single Post
Old 2006-08-21, 1:30pm
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclogan

Which is complicated by the fact that the oxygen regulator that my husband picked out for me is a nice one, but it doesn't "do" low pressures on the gauge really well. The first line on the gauge is 5psi, and the first number that's listed on the gauge is 30, so it's kinda tough to really tell what it's set at. He thinks we can just change the gauge, I think we need a different regulator.
You know BC... I think your the one of the few persons that recognized the size of the regulator might be problematic.

I just wonder if some, perhaps many, of the tanked oxy-torch relatable problems we hear about, might simply be due to a oh-my-gosh big regulator that simply cannot properly control the oxy pressures we generally work at.

I've read that good quality regulators have a pressure guage installed that indicates the best psi range to use it - not directly indicates mind you, but just in a sorta off-hand way, i.e., that the middle 50% of the gage range is what the regulator is really good at controlling (droop and drop-wise).

For example: a regulator with a 0-30 psig gage would indicate the regulator is really good at controlling 7.5 to 22.5 psig; and a 0-60 psig gage regulator would be good for 15 to 45 psig.

Can anyone confirm this with real-life experience or welder education? (versus only what I've read from manufacturer materials).

Might help out on BC's next regulator purchase. (Oh... and mine too )

Me