Thread: Best torches
View Single Post
Old 2013-06-21, 8:29pm
one day at a time

Okay, this is what I think would be best, but of course, this is just my personal opinion because I have tried several torches. For teaching:

1) The HH for the new people who have never worked with a torch. IMHO, it's the best way to get their feet wet. It melts slower so it is better for them and it is also better for you, the teacher. Once they have learned to make well shaped simple spacer beads, not perfect, but they are gaining control over the glass, then they may ready for something a bit hotter. Or they may decide that the HH is hot enough for the time being.

2) The Minor or the Mini CC for newbies who have some experience with the HH. Also the perfect torches for your intermediate students.

3) The Bobcat or the Lynx for new lampworkers that aren't interested in soft glass and prefer to learn to work with boro. Also for soft glass workers with some experience with the HH or torches like the Minor or Mini CC that want to try boro.

4) The Mini CC is okay for boro if you use 10lpm or higher, but the GTTs are hotter and melt faster. I've owned both the Mini CC and the Bobcat.

5) Oh, I must mention - the Bobcats on the market now are an improved version. They use oxygen more efficiently than the old models, and they come in pretty colors.