View Single Post
Old 2012-04-18, 5:10pm
Pyromaniac

Some more advice:

Dave said two really important things:

1. "Fix It"
&
2. "Always finish it"

SO much truth here. There are times when a piece is unsalvagable, but the fact is you will learn a lot trying to fix it and/or finish it. I used to be a big fan of "water annealing" but now, when something doesn't go the way I want it to, or if something goes wrong, I make something from it no matter how much it hates me for doing so... and like Dave said above, some of my best pieces result. And some of my jankiest. That's life

Some more to add:

We have a little saying at my house when it comes to art, "Someone will love it". Don't get so wrapped up in the craftsmanship aspect of a piece that didn't come out the way you wanted it to. A great example is striking colors. I get pretty annoyed sometimes because colors don't work the way I want them ... and those pieces almost always sell first. It's amazing...It's like they don't even see the technical flaw that drives you up the wall. Because they DON'T. Obviously I'm not talking about pieces that may be dangerously flawed from a user's standpoint... Just don't get too hung up on things that don't have the "look" or shape you were going for. That droopy sherlock may be someone's future favorite pipe... They don't know that you should have bridged it

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy