View Single Post
Old 2006-06-25, 2:51am
Hopeless glass addict!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefreak
When turned down to a low flame the combustion can take place right on the face itself. on very low flame it can take place in the port tubes. Propane oxy mixture burns at 3900 deg F. mild steel melts at 1600 deg F. Stainless and alloys are higher, but below 3900. So the danger is that if the torch was run on to low of a flame for a extended period ( the larger the torch , the shorter to time) the metal the face is made of would begin to melt. This is why its important to size the torch to the work you plan to do. Running a large torch on low settings is just asking for problems.
THIS is the reason I like having this guy around when I'm at my torch. It's the reason why I'm still intact & why my torch hasn't suffered meltdown. If I have a problem...he rescues me. He chose my torch, set everything up and showed me how to use and care for it. It's also handy to have my resident fireman around while I'm playing with fire...one never knows...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~Mendy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Happiness is roasting glass with your best friend!