View Single Post
Old 2006-03-18, 2:34pm
I'm a lilac!

Default Your advice for newbies

Somber over at the GLDG started a newbie advice thread and I thought it was such an excellent idea, and got so many good tips, that I wanted to start one here, too because I think the collected experience here is tremendous and could be really helpful to have posted in one thread. Here's some from me:

Do your research. You do not want to embark into glasswork flying blind; not only is it hard to progress if you don't know what you're doing, it's also potentially very dangerous. Although it's true that there are no stupid questions, you will gain much, much more by reading the information available in books, and doing online searches, than you will by posting a question online and reading only the answers of those who happen to see it and know, or think they know, the answer. There are too many excellent and reasonably priced books written by true experts to leave your safety and your glass education in the hands of well-intentioned internet pals. That said,

Ask questions. If your research does not turn up answers to something you want to know, do not be afraid to ask. You may not get the information you desire, but you will surely learn something. However, when it comes to glassworking techniques,

Seriously, just try it. Odds are not bad that you will be able to figure it out, and then if you are stumped, both your questions and the answers you get will make more sense and take you so much further than if you asked before trying. Which brings me to...

Remember, there is no wasted time at the torch
. Even if you work on something for an hour and then ruin it, even if everything you make is fit only for water annealing, every minute you spend on the torch makes you a better glassworker. I often hear "I don't get much time on the torch so I have to make every minute count, that's why I asked first..." If that's your mindset, change it. Clean it out. There's no benefit to thinking that way - you have to "waste time" at the torch in order to improve. Lastly,

Don't fear the color. I agree about working with inexpensive clear to get your shapes down, but once you have a basic grasp of how to make something, don't be afraid to experiment with color, even (or especially) the most expensive colors. How can you get good with color if you don't play with color? I've talked to so many people who say "I bought half a pound of that a year ago but I haven't used it because I'm afraid of wasting it". Well, it's wasted sitting on the shelf, and you're not learning anything from it there. Stick it in the flame!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kalera; 2006-03-18 at 9:23pm.