View Single Post
Old 2006-03-31, 10:17am
on hiatus...

Remember, there is no wasted time at the torch[/b]. Even if you work on something for an hour and then ruin it, even if everything you make is fit only for water annealing, every minute you spend on the torch makes you a better glassworker. I often hear "I don't get much time on the torch so I have to make every minute count, that's why I asked first..." If that's your mindset, change it. Clean it out. There's no benefit to thinking that way - you have to "waste time" at the torch in order to improve.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Thank you Kalera for saying this with such grace... I'd like to add that I understand why people insert this kind of thought in their thread, but would really encourage them to think it through. I'm sure that it's with the best of intentions, so please don't think I"m picking on any particular person.. just asking you to reconsider.

When you ask someone for help and indicate that you don't want to waste time and money on expensive glass, it can be an insult to those that DID take the time and expense to learn a skill.

Many of the wonderfully talented artists worked under tight budgets and huge family burdens, they may make a lot of money on the beads now, but it wasn't always that way - their budgets and resources were as tight as yours. Which segways into the next words of wisdom from Kalera... that experimenting and practice is not a waste.. frustrating sometimes but never a waste.

If you've tried something and are stumped.. then ask questions.. post about what you've done and the problem you encountered. Post a pic, the wonderful glassbeadmakers on this site can help and are great about it. but please be considerate of the time, money and energy it's taken to accomplish it and don't say "I just don't want to waste this glass or my money"

Don't forget to write and say thank you when your questions are answered!! Your expression of thanks and a brief explanation of what you learned is priceless.

Flame on!

Last edited by Steph'sBeadCorner; 2006-03-31 at 10:22am.