View Single Post
Old 2020-05-08, 3:37am
Nick

Default Newbie, don’t want to explode

Hello, so I’m new to lampworking and have been taking the extra time I have to really get into it. I just set up my Spartan torch, (after a lot of trouble). Now my issue is my torch is not turning blue, I turn on the gas. It doesn’t stay lit half of the time and when I finally get it lit no matter how much oxy I add the flame does not turn blue and small. It remains at about seven inches with a noticeable flame at the tip.
I have been using a hot head until now and have not been able to successfully get a gather with either the spartan or the hot head. With 33 or 104. The 104 was a little easier but still no father. I tried different settings but mainly I did 20-25psi oxy and 10-15 psi propane.

Why is the torch not staying lit? Why is the propane flame not constant when regulator seems fine? Why when I add oxy does it not turn the flame into a sharp blue flame. Why does nothing ever work?! Why doesn’t it work like it does in the movies?!?!

Thanks in advance, this is a great board, I’ve learned so much already. I wish I had found this board PRIOR to investing $130 in a spartan. (Which is even $30 higher than retail!!!)