View Single Post
Old 2009-11-25, 1:33pm
burnin' glass just becuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
If you are using forming tools or pressing your glass on tile, then technically I would say you are marvering. I have a love-hate relationship with marvering tools. I make lots of round or donut shapes so I don't have to marver, but I also love cylindar shapes which are essentilly impossible without marvering, at least for me. I consider myself press-challenged but I have recently fallen in love with graphite beadrollers, which could be considered marvers too. One of the best marvering tips I ever got was to treat your marvering paddle like an airplane landing strip, in other words, roll your bead down the length of the marver rather than spin it in place. I just got Andrea Guarino's large marver which is awesome - it has a notch for shaping the ends of your beads.
yes, technically you can marver with any tool... however for the purposes of this exercise i'm referring specifically to those square or rectangular blocks of steel, brass or graphite, etc. that are commonly referred to as marvers and are designed specifically for this purpose. most times they are either attached to the torch or have a handle.

i've never developed a comfortable way of using them and wondered if anyone esle was in my shoes...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland