View Single Post
Old 2010-03-19, 11:58am
back at it

Great topic, glad I stopped in!

My lampwork studio was insured with State Farm years ago. Before that I had insurance through the American Crafts Council (they might still offer it, not sure). When I first switched to State Farm they didn't have a clue what lampworking was (it was many years ago). My agent came out and took detailed pictures of my entire set-up to send off to the underwriters. At the time I had told her, if anything, it was more closely related to a metalsmith, as in jewelry store jeweler. I also told her that as long as the torch was attached to the worktable it was probably safer than a jeweler's torch which is picked up, set down, waved around, etc.

For those of you whose insurance doesn't have a clue about lampwork I suggest you might want to try the "same as a jeweler" approach. This type business is everywhere, including retail storefronts. When State Farm first suggested putting me in the ceramic/pottery heading, the price for insurance was enormous. They "assumed" that everyone in this category had huge gas-fired kilns. Thankfully it appears from what you've said they've learned a bit!

Also, you might want to take detailed pictures of your work set-up, etc. and ask your agent to submit them to the underwriters. It might help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MaryAnn; 2010-03-19 at 12:08pm. Reason: spelling error