View Single Post
Old 2016-06-20, 2:10pm

Default Hothead struggles and curious about Japanese B10 or KR3/B12 torches

I am new here and new to lampworking.

Finally started lampworking using a hothead. The size of the "sweet spot" is very small and the air to LPG ratio seems far too high to keep the flame hot/stable. When a couple of air holes are plugged, the flame gets noticeably hotter. Tank/Mapp pressure is just way too high to maintain a flame in any event. The only way I could get a stable flame is by putting on a high pressure regulator and choking the flow, and hot by limiting air flow.

Still, quite a few of the Moretti rods refuse to behave like honey, more like old tooth paste or dried up oil paint. I am struggling with making enough of a gather and keeping it hot for encasing. Increasingly I have been thinning my 3mm rods to stringers make the glass flow better and working with very small beads. Am I doing something wrong with the hothead?

I had my lessons on a minor and everything seemed so easy and not just quicker. So, I am looking to get a torch. The temptation is to avoid getting an oxygen concentrator because shipping cost to Asia is nearly always more than the item itself. A $500 kiln for example cost $520 shipping! So the forced air torches are very appealing since I already have a low pressure high volume compressor. Is there anyone using one of these regularly and happily?

Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.