View Single Post
Old 2007-09-13, 10:07am

I admit that I am addicted to presses. I did lampworking for 3 years before I got into presses but I love using them. I have many favorites but I think I use my chunky lentil from Cattwalk the most as far as presses. My favorite shaping tool would have to be a marver Catt made for me. It is a straight piece of brass about 2 inches wide and 2.5 inches long approximately and has a handle. It is thin enough that it isn't heavy at all. It gives me two long flat brass pieces for shaping and getting colors from raku and other silver glass. On the sides: one side is really sharp and comes to a v-cut, one side is very sharp but is cut on a slant and the top is the same way but the slant isn't as deep. I need to take a picture of it. I love this tool. I use it for almost every bead. It is sharp enough to make all of the grooves I need for my vines, murrini and twisties. I use one side of it for making the crease on my hearts and raised flowers. I use the straight part of the marver for rolling, applying foil, shaping bicones etc. It is long enough that I can get a nice roll if I am making a long barrel. For me, it is the perfect shaping tool. It essentially replaced my razor, stump shaper and graphite marver. I just love it. I will take a picture when I get home from work and hopefully Catt won't get me because it is a prototype...

I agree that learning the basic shapes before moving on to presses is a good thing. But, I believe presses are fun and it might help a frustrated beginner take a break from beads that are disappointing. I used to get very very frustrated as a beginner when I couldn't get the perfect hole and presses might have helped me to just take a break from that and make something that was nicely shaped. Of course, presses take practice too and can be frustrating as well. I believe it is crucial to learn to shape the glass with a marver as well. This teaches you how the glass moves and heat control but I think the basic shapes are enough to get a beginner started. Presses are a big part of my lampworking so I would get really bored if I only had a marver.

Of course, this is all just my opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Rachel; 2007-09-13 at 10:12am.