View Single Post
Old 2007-11-06, 8:45pm

Default I have a few I like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char! View Post
Maybe I am preaching to the choir, however...There are many new bead makers out there using presses as a short cut to make beads. It's my belief and one that I teach in my classes, the three most common words you will hear me say is, "Shape, Shape, Shape!" A lampworker must be able to create all the shapes by hand using only gravity and a marver.

I recommend that a new student that is going to set up a work space to purchase a pound of ivory and a pound of clear and do nothing but shape and encase. NO Designs!! just SHAPE!!

I am old school in that I come from a jewelry fabrication background. When I apprentised it was two years before I used a torch!

If you are going to be serious about making beads, shaping is everything! It teaches you heat control. Where to be in the flame. And the different types of torch settings ie: high oxidizing vs. low oxidizing.

Char!
I think it is important that you learn how to use gravity when creating a bead. This is the one time that gravity is your friend () I have a lentil press from corina beads and a press catt gave me a few years ago. (thanks Catt) I use the one Catt gave me. but not the lentil press. I see beautiful work with them. And I feel there is room for all kinds of tools, from presses to marvers. to shapers. I think Char has a good point for the beginner.Once you get the gravity thing down you can move onto the presses My MAGS mashers are my favorite tool also. That is the only lentil tool I use.
OHHHH
And of course my tool line..

Years ago I took a simple idea from a piece of marble that had a 45 angle on it. I used that piece of marble every time I was on the torch. Someday I will show the piece of marble. This year we took that marble idea and made it into the tool below. Its long and lean to work on and I love to marver. I have other tools on my web site also, but this is my baby. I just love the sharp edges on it and it works like a dream rolling back and forth..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.