View Single Post
Old 2008-07-10, 9:18pm

Default What's the deal with Messy Clear?

Creation is Messy is committed to making the most optically clear Clear (no green or blue tints) in the 104 market. We use the highest grade of raw materials to melt Clear. During the inspection process, we are careful to remove rods that are not a consistent 4-7 mm diameter, to check that the rods are straight and smooth without bumps, and to remove any rods with impurities like seeds, bubbles, stones, black spots, or dust.

We also limit handling to prevent scratches, and we package the rods by individually wrapping in tissue paper to prevent scratching during shipment.

Like all Messy Colors, our Clear has been formulated and tested to be 104 compatible. (You can read more about our testing method here: http://www.creationismessy.com/compatibility.aspx.) We strive to be as consistent as possible from batch to batch, and to reproduce the Clear on a timely basis so that it is available when you need it.

Our testers have confirmed that we have achieved the above goals in making an optically clear Clear. However, they were sharply divided about whether or not they like the Clear because of what a number of testers described as “scumming,” “boiling,” or “frothing”. A large portion of testers reported that they loved Messy Clear and experienced no problems. An equally large portion of testers reported that they could not cope with the boiling and returned to their previous clear of choice almost immediately. I think you’ll find that similar sentiments are expressed in this thread.

Thanks to our testers, we’ve been able to establish that the wide range of responses is due to the wide range of working atmospheres. Since everyone’s torch and flame adjustment are different, everyone’s working atmosphere is different.

The artists who express a preference for Messy Clear have a tendency to describe their working style as “cool,” or are quite often using a torch that is widely reputed to be cooler (like Hot Heads). In general those that do not prefer Messy Clear describe their working style as “hot.” Several testers who could be described as working “hot” noted that they were successful in using Messy Clear without boiling it if they worked it very slowly (much slower than they preferred to work) in the outer reaches of the flame.

If you find yourself to be one of the users who can’t seem to prevent Messy Clear from boiling, then I would advise you to wait for us to find a solution for those of you who work like Loco. (Hot, hot, hot!)

I would also like to point out a relevant point about the ends of our rods. As part of the quality control process, the rods are divided into bundles which are stood vertically and ground over a disc to smooth the ends. Our purpose is to remove any sharp and potentially dangerous edges. Several testers noted that the ground ends of the rods had a tendency to scum. Many testers found that if they clipped the ground end of the rod then Messy Clear would be less prone to boiling when worked. I’m planning to talk to our quality control manager about how we can safely clip the ends of the rods without grinding them when I visit China next month.

Thank you to our illustrious testers who have given us this great feedback! CiM’s goal is to make a Clear that will be your Clear of choice in every application. I hope that those of you who like the Messy Clear will continue to enjoy it and provide feedback on how it can be improved. Those of you who experience boiling, please wait for us to find a solution that will work for you!

If there are any questions, please feel free to e-mail me directly at kathy@creationismessy.com.

Kathy

Kathy Seamands

Creation is Messy
Messy Color

[web]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[mail]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kathy; 2010-06-28 at 1:39pm. Reason: Corrected broken link