View Single Post
Old 2011-04-20, 12:02pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Neat Thread! Here are a few tips from me:

1. I had my hubby cut up 2" PVC pipe on an angle, and I use that for rod storage. I tack each one to the lower one with silicone glue, so it can be peeled off if I rearrange. I checked Craigs List and got a bunch from someone who didn't need it for next to nothing.

2. I use a Rod Warmer, and turned a medium-sized nut can from Walmart upside down for a perfect height to go under long rods.

3. I use Thrift Store juice glasses and shot glasses with thick bottoms and narrow tops for stringers on my worktable. The clear glass shows them nicely, and the weighty bottom really makes a difference.

4. When I need a tool I go first to Devardi lampwork tools. They are really inexpensive. I got their long needle nose pliers for about $3 and use them for applying Murrini and other tasks. If you want to be frugal they are focused on the lampwork community and have a lot of molds, graphite marble rollers, tongs, mandrels and presses that are really inexpensive.

Their glass has to be used with a Rod Warmer and may have compatibility issues at times, but it's also very inexpensive ($6 a pound) in tight times.

http://www.devardiglass.com/supplies.htm