View Single Post
Old 2010-01-08, 6:54am

Hi I haven't been here on a LE for a long time, but when I was searching Yesterday for info and reviews for the new GTT scorpion torch I ended up here. I asked GTT some info about the torch to find out if this torch would be the right choise for me with my settup and for what I want to do in future. maybe it is of some help for some of you so here are my questions and the answers from GTT

this is what I wrote:
Hi,

I have seen the scorpion torch on your website, I like the idea of not needing tanked oxigen. I have been looking around for torch info for quit some time,.

I started out with beadwork on a hothead, than nortel minor bench, now a mini cc because of the radiant heat at the side of the flame when doing sculptural work with soft glass, I just started working with boro sculptural (max about 4 inches) and tubing this summer but my mini cc is too small for the size work I want to do in future (goblets max end result diameter 3 inches, height about 8 inches with sculptured stem, maybe marble work max 2 inches)

I do have both propane and natural gas and 4 5lpm oxygen concentrators. no tanked oxygen.

so my quistions:

1. Is this torch suitable for the work I want to do in future and if yes is this the max of this torch or has it more potential in size of work. (what is the max) without the use of tanked oxygen and with tanked oxygen ( or does it make no difference if you use tanked or concentrator oxygen presure wise)

2. I know propane gets hotter than natural gas but can I do the boro work that size on natural gas on this torch?

3. I red the flame width 1 1/4 inches, is this the max diameter of a neutral flame on this torch? (in other words what is the "and more" you tell about on the site)

4. I red somewhere about the lynx and the bobcat that when you use a small flame for detail work the inner work of those torches get dirty fast with carbon how about this torch?

6. what is the benefit of a 4 stud against a 2 stud torch? I have quick connects for 2 stud is it possible to put on a splitters to operate the 4 stud torch or do I need 2 connections for gas and 2 connections for oxygen?

7. what is the size of the hose I need? to connect the torch?

5. Is the scorpion available yet and what are the total costs when sending it to the Netherlands?

and their answer:
Hello Jacky,

The torch is capable of the size of work you described and larger depending on your skill level. The torch will be able to reach 95% of its capability on 3 of your 5 LPM concentrators as long as the concentrators are delivering. The natural gas will be able to work the sizes you described, but to go much bigger will probably require the propane to be used. The flame width can be manipulated by the valves on the torch to have a sharp shoulder or can be made bushy for blowing. Depending on the setting the flame width will vary and can be made to go wider than 1 ¼” and still maintain a neutral flame. The Lynx and Bobcat do not carbon unless the torch is run soft and bushy, when a small detail flame is run the torches do not carbon but it will show if the torch was run improperly prior to the small flame. The Scorpion also does not carbon unless the torch is run improperly. The 4 stud can be used with a foot pedal or different concentrators or oxygen sources. The torch can be Y’d together and used with the quick connects. The hose size is ¼” inside diameter. The Scorpion is still in production and should be available in the next few weeks. Shipping costs should be about $60.00 US to the Netherlands.
Thanks,
Josh

I'm still doubting if I should order this torch especially after reading about the constand delay of delivery. If anyone here can ad something to help me make up my mind I would be very greatfull!

thanks Jacky