View Single Post
Old 2006-02-23, 4:47am
Old enough to know better

I've been experimenting with boro with my minor and one concentrator. My colors have been coming out ok, but it takes a long, long time to get enough heat to make a small-medium sized bead. I'm pretty careful about having a neutral flame and was able to pass the GA "Neutral Flame Test", but it's not a very hot neutral flame. I just got a 2nd concentrator but I haven't hooked it up yet. When I do, I'll switch over to my NEW Carlisle mini cc!
I was at a class at Carlisle (Boro Bead Blast) for 3 days this last weekend with Lauri Copeland. It rocked! Lauri rocks! Carlisle rocks and the teaching facility is great! Highly recommended, especially for those in the Mid-Atlantic area.
The mini cc's are really really hot when hooked up to tanked 02 and they have great ambient heat. We were able to make some big beads. I melted a 3/32 inch mandrel in the blink of an eye. I also managed to fume one of my beads with Tungsten from my poor bead rake. Not recommended. Lauri shares lots of information on working with many colors and it was REALLY helpful. There are so many boro colors out there it's a bit overwhelming at first. Lots of other great information about working with boro. I feel like I have a foundation now and can branch out from there.
When I hook up my 2nd oxycon I'll let you know how it works. I may end up getting some tanked O2, though.

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912