View Single Post
Old 2022-03-21, 4:50am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuai View Post
Thanks for the quick replies. Can you send me a link/name for your clip on spectacles. I'm really hoping for ones that flip down as I like to see the flame as I'm heating up the rods.

I'm using a BBQ tank that I just filled up and a K size oxygen tank, which means I got lots of dirty propane left to burn.

I'm still trying to get a handle on flame chemistry / ratios, which I find confusing when you add in just more overall gas flow. Both influence heat output, but I just don't know when to use what? Last week, made a gather of glass (104 coe) go completely soupy and pour onto my wooden book cart / workbench, which was pretty crazy... lots to learn as beginner.
You may not have dirty propane. As I said, GTT torches are sensitive to a propane rich flame. Just flick off the sparks with tweezers or a mandrel, and clean after you bleed the lines after you are through for the day.

Since you are using tanked oxygen you don't need to worry about whether a concentrator has a purity issue, so you should be good there if your settings are appropriate.

I think learning flame chemistry is important. If you have a problem, you can start from an informed perspective if you know what type of flame you were using. You do want to avoid a propane rich flame unless there is a specific need to use one, like reducing silver glass.

As far as soupy 104 - transparents are stiffer than opaques, and white and ivory are really soft. Work out further in the flame once you have some glass wound on your mandrel. You don't have to keep the glass screaming hot to shape the bead. Practice is you friend for this!

Early on most people (me!) keep the glass too hot, and spin the mandrel too fast. Once I learned to read the heat, learned how glass moved, and that it was not going to explode if I let it cool a bit, things improved for me. Good luck!