View Single Post
Old 2014-01-25, 5:08pm

Default Miscellaneous questions about setting up a small, in-home lampworking studio

Alright so I have been doing some research, and deliberation about how my set up is going to work. I am basically a twenty-two year old novice flameworker with a strong passion for the craft, and an uncanny ability to learn quickly. With these traits, I was able to learn a lot about the fundamentals of lampworking and the muscle memory they must be paired with. I was able to hone many of my skills in such a short period of time that I fear I would be unsatisfied if I did not continue learning the art. As a result, I have chosen to see if it is possible for me to set up a small, and effective studio in my home to begin production of simple pieces while practicing with new techniques and honing my skills further. In order to do this, I must compose a savvy "business model", if you will, in order to illustrate if it is possible to not only recoup the capital investment that it will take to establish such a studio in my home, but also continue to support itself and eventually flourish. This idea started out as something that I wanted to do as a hobby, but is turning into a larger investment worth making into the most it can be. As a result, I am adamantly searching for as much informed knowledge as I am able to find on the most efficient and safe ways to go about setting up a small lampworking studio in my home.

Some information I have already gathered is that my city will allow a small set up in my home, as it will be safe and code compliant. There will be one torch, and I have found a company I may take my oxygen tank to be refilled as needed. Once I obtain a business license with the city/state, I will be all set up to privately produce small pieces and sell them locally or online. I still have more research to do, and phone calls to make in order to ensure I am aware of all laws and ordinances that could effect me. As of now, we are waiting to hear back from our insurance company about a quote on business coverage.

The things I need more information on that I can think of now are:

Most efficient ventilation set up (Hood overhead, or front facing?)

Running gas lines from tanks in garage, to bedroom upstairs (Best professional service to look into for this?)

Best deals on glass and glass supplies?

Any information is much appreciated! I have a lot to learn in order to bring this plan to fruition, but I am extremely determined to do so.