View Single Post
Old 2011-01-07, 9:24pm
Sorry for party rockin'

DH Aether is the softest clear I've worked with and reformulated Lauscha clear is the stiffest. Effetre clear is somewhere in between but sucks in terms of quality and clarity.

I love Aether for its softness and ease of use for encasing, but the negatives are that it turns certain silvered glasses green, and (at least for me) I get skid marks on my beads from laying them on the kiln floor. I don't get that problem with any other clear, but no matter what, when I encase a bead with Aether, the floor of my kiln will leave a mark on my encasement. I've thrown away alot of beads because of this
My kiln is set at 940 and I usually rest beads on a kiln rack at first, and then move them to the kiln floor . . . and still, Aether-encased beads wind up with a mark on them.

For the Lauscha clear . . . I like the clarity and quality because it's far superior to Effetre, but the stiffness makes it more difficult to use for encasing larger beads. I use the "big blob" method to encase large beads and the Lauscha glass is harder to use for this.

BUT, I'd rather have a more difficult glass to use than to use effetre and have all of my beads wind up with hazy crap on them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.