View Single Post
Old 2010-08-23, 5:12am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_ View Post
I should note that I am working outside. I try not to do anything when a breeze blows by, and I'm partially sheltered from wind. I work with what I can get. Also, it would be virtually impossible to keep everything glowing a slight orange and still do work on the bowl due to the size of the pieces, and the size of my flame (It can only get about 3/4" wide, it's an oxy-propane cutting torch attachment for an oxy-acetylene torch. It's served me well thus far.)

What's a good soaking temperature? This seems like a method I can agree with, but 650 C didn't seem to be hot enough. I could probably get my kiln up to about 800 C if I tried. But then I worry about adding cold pieces in to it. Wouldn't they just crack, going from 30 C to 650 C near-instantly?

As for tubing, I'm using 22 x 2.5mm for these pieces. They look a little thin in the pictures, but they're not. Narrowing to as small a hole as possible then widening is what us engineering students call a diffuser, in the most basic sense. It cools the smoke and reduces its speed for an easy, smooth draw. The twists gives the illusion of thin walled tubing, but I assure you, It's at least 2 mm everywhere. It's the thickest I can get without getting a large diameter tubing.

If the glass anneals at 565C, max 600 C, I read that for fixing cracks it should be 100 above this, 650 C. But this didn't work. What should I try? 750? 800? What do YOU use?

Again, thanks for all the input. I'll give everything a try the next chance I get.
I soak my pieces at 1000F. Not sure what that translates to in celsius though.

I wouldn't go over 1050 for hollow pieces or you risk slumping them. I ramp my kiln up to 1150 to strike colors, but only hold it there for 10 minutes.

Try some larger, thicker tubing. Also, try some just plain clear pieces. Get those down to where you can do them no problem, then go on to wrap and rakes. That will give you decent looking pieces, but you don't have to worry about the frit on the inside. Once you get the hang of it, then go back to using the frit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.