Thread: Devardi cracks
View Single Post
Old 2009-11-20, 9:57am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
Very observant of you. The questions are devardi specific, but pertains to any glass that you find these faults in. If you feel this is a game, then I am sorry for you. Glass is a very demanding material to work with and when I started it was necessary to learn more about it than, obviously, glassworkers feel they need to know today.

And perhaps you don't read other threads that much, but whenever there is a technical question that I think I can add information to or be helpful, I do. When is it going to be more about glass and less about personalities? I don't believe I have slammed anyone in this thread. I try to keep posts to the point of the discussion and not about individuals. I find when people start denigrating individuals all information that could be gleaned from the thread is lost.

As to the opinion that I should use this glass before I make comments, that is just ludicrous. Everything I need to know about this glass is listed on the Devardi site and I am assuming that what is written there is truthful. If you know anything about glass then that site tells you very important things about the material they are selling. If a company tells me that their lipstick is great, but you need to keep it at no higher temperature than 78 degrees or it will melt, and don't put much pressure on the tube because it will crumble, also there have been reported allergic reactions to the lipstick itself, I am probably not going to try it. I can determine from that information that it is not a good lipstick. And just to let you know, I have tried literally dozens of different glasses many years ago and I did learn lots from what was wrong and what was right about them.

When you are learning to read you start by using a book with simple words that easily form complete sentences. "See Jack run." You don't start off with something that says, "Under their respective headings we have endeavored..." When you start out with glass beadmaking you learn how to make a round bead by using the flame to make it round. Hopefully you use a glass that is simple to use and makes it easier to learn the basic techniques involved in making beads without having to make a lot of "adjustments". Most of us learned on Effetre, or Moretti as it was called when I started. It's a very stable glass whose base colors work very reliably. You learn about heat control and gravity. As your education in glass continues, you may branch out into glass that is more demanding, but you learn the basics and build upon that. You also learn to be concerned about the quality of the art that you are creating. You learn things like cracks due to annealing or incompatibility and you learn to tell the difference, and you learn more and more technical information that can have an affect on your artwork.

A head glassmaker once asked in conversation, don't all glass beadmaking artists make sure they are using quality glass before creating their art? Unfortunately I had to answer no, and it has bothered me a lot ever since. We as glass beadmakers need to know more than the techniques used to create our art. We need to know the materials and why they react the way they do.

So, now, go ahead and scream at me in all caps and call me names and insinuate that I have ulterior motives for posting in this thread. I've been on glass forums far to long to be easily insulted. My motive is and has been to encourage glass beadmakers to think for themselves, to learn about their materials and their art.

Please compare your second paragraph to your last paragraph, and also show me where I have done anything you said in the last one.

You quoted me and it sure looks like you are replying to me. If not, could you please specify that?

Check out the diamond clear and the artichokey threads, please. They could use your input as well, I'm sure. I hope you are just as thorough as you are in this one.