View Single Post
Old 2014-03-19, 3:39pm
Everlasting Fire Studio

This thread on Psyche:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...t=double+helix

I love the DH glass, but often struggle. While Pysche was not one I struggled with, I finally moved into the forums to look for tips with the others I had. The post/image that MrsD posted (post #22) blew my mind. I had Canyon de Chelly in a bundle long forgotten, and I pulled those suckers out and had a LOT of fun. I made one of my all-time favorite beads with a combo with it. It made me start experimenting with more of the random CIM rods I had, as well as other rods to try and see what I got.
Although most of the images I see in the DH threads are incredible and inspiring. It makes me keep trying!

My random tip:
If you are struggling with some of the DH glass, I found that if you make a larger hollow bead, and then melt and shape it (pulling it or elongating it especially) the type of heat you put on the glass REALLY makes some of the colors pop! I got some very gorgeous ranges of color that way, and it didn't require encasing or intense sessions of back and forth in different mixes of flame. Sometimes a good ego boost when you feel like you aren't getting it right!

Everlasting Fire Studio
5036 N. Lincoln Ave
Chicago, IL 60625