View Single Post
Old 2011-11-16, 12:10pm
Salt Box Beads

Thank-you for the layout diagram.

Sorry this is going to be a long long post.

The work bench is high so chairs are really bar stools so they don't take up that much room and will be under the bench and out of the way most of the time. I may have one nice easy chair in there. Also I would never worl with my back to a door. I like my work bench free standing and myself positioned where I can see anyone coming to the shed.

The kiln will be on a rolling tool chest. I have one window in the shed that I placed stratigically so I could roll the kiln to the window and check on the controller temp reading frequently by just walking up to my patio door and looking out. I have kiln anxiety. So the wall with the window in it can't have anything tall in front of it.

The metal books shelves that used to be in the horse trailer studio are going into this studio because they are covered with marble and I use them all the time to lay my pulled twisties and cane onto.

The Gorilla shelving for my glass is too tall to fit at the back of the shed so it has to go to the front and the only place for it is on the left side. I have three work benches in the garage I can choose from, I want the 6 footer but may have to use my 4 footer that is already set up and the one I have been using.

If I was going to build the inside from scratch your plan would be great but since I have to use what I already have it makes it a little tougher.

Our property was recently rezoned by FEMA and they have determined any building with electrical has to have an 18" concrete footing and all of the electrical has to be at least 36 inches off the ground and I have to hire an engineer to oversee the whole project!!!

But we have decided to wire the whole thing with exposed conduit and boxes and outlets and then get the electrical to it using an RV type system from a box on the house which is right next to the shed. I already know exactly how much electric I will be using and will have my electrician add extra for good measure. We are also adding 220 for my hubby's shed. We had our electrician come by and go over it with us and since RV parks have been doing it for years and years I figure I can too.

You know each and every studio shed build is so unique to it's own set of requirements and complications that we really need to post our builds and ideas so everyone can benefit. Thank you all for all of the comments and kind words.

They rezoned us for the worst possible flood zone rating on the new flood maps! Sometimes I just get so frustrated living in California.

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2011-11-16 at 12:13pm.