Thread: Burns
View Single Post
Old 2011-07-12, 6:36pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
Wow, I'm stumped as to why the OP didn't feel it burn?! I have an extremely high pain tolerance (determined by my neurologist) and I know for a fact I would have felt that!

I burned off a piece of my thumb by touching a graphite paddle that had just came out of the flame. I felt it alright, but I still kept making that 30mm honkin' boro bead. I wasn't going to stop, I already had 15 minutes into it. lol
-----------------------------------------------------------------
As for why I didn't feel it at the time, I can only say that the doctor said the molten glass had such a high temperature that it basically seared the nerve endings and capillaries as it crept down through the layers of skin (and fat). I have had surgery that they made a small incision in my bellybutton, but I don't think that had anything to do with it. I know my husband pointed out the burn on my over shirt that I was wearing that day, and I thanked God that I didn't get burnt.... at least I thought not ... until I took a shower and saw what litterally looked like leather or suede.

My husband shakes his head and says "only you..." a lot. I just wanted to post what happened so that maybe I could prevent one person from having to go through 9 months of pain (which happened as it started to heal), doctors appointments and associated payments, piles of money spent at the pharmacy for bandages, etc. It's still not entirely healed up, but its probably about 85 - 90%. It's a HUGE improvement.

Thanks for your caring posts.
Marge