View Single Post
Old 2008-06-29, 11:02am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Default Ivory/Dark Ivory equivalent in Bullseye

I was working with the odd lot custard last night and realized that the rod I was using was doing something similar to the 104 ivories - it was separating into darker and lighter colors. I looked at the rod and saw that the one I was using had more of the amber mixed in with it (custard is reacive nougat and amber in the same rod). I checked my rods and have 4 or 5 per pound that are of the darker variety. Here is a comparison - I was using the one on the right:

I did some experiments with the two variations and this is what I came up with (please pardon the crappy beads).

This is the darker rod worked in a normal way:

This is the lighter rod worked in a normal way:

This is the darker rod fumed with silver twice. I fumed once, worked hot again and then fumed it again and worked hot again. As you can see, it webbed beautifully.

This is the light rod also fumed with silver twice. I fumed once, worked hot again and then fumed it again and worked hot again. As you can see, it didn't really web at all. The light spot in it is because I boiled the glass at that spot and exposed the unfumed glass underneath, which gives the light contrast color.

Some additional pics:
This is a dark rod fumed twice also and then blue lustre dotted and striped on and worked hot.

This is a light rod fumed with silver and then lightly wafted in the flame to bring out some variations in the color:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.