View Single Post
Old 2016-01-28, 8:08pm

Edit -- CAUTION: See information at the end of the post.

First, I should say that I have no definitive information. That is, I used to know where the AuraLens charts are and that most other eyeware glass came from Schott, and Schott also provides spectrum charts. But now, most eyeware is no longer glass. Phillips used to make the glass eyeshields (I believe with Schott glass), but Schott has not done a run with that coating in a long time, and now Phillips uses polycarbonate for their shields and plates (referring to the ACE 202 coated or tinted material).

Although this is mentioned in the thread, have you been to the Wale Apparatus site? They have an explanation of their S and SB series, which might interest you. Right now the Wale fitovers are on sale for $50, which, if I remember, is a lot less than I payed last time.
https://www.waleapparatus.com/product/fit-over-style/
I have the S-series, which is transmits more light than the glasses I am used to. However, personally, I would use the S-series in addition to a shield, or when I am further away from the torch, so find them to be good for our local ISGB monthly demonstrations.

The glasses in the photo do not look purple, but that is probably misleading because they also have a gold coating. Hopefully, when someone tries these out, they can give more feedback on what they look like from all angles. Actually, I probably will buy a pair because I plan to do more kilnwork, so I can find use for them if they are not suitable for torchwork.

Finally, I have not had much luck yet researching this yet, but the manufacturer of the faceshield and glasses seems to be Oberon, if that helps anyone. I'll keep looking, but I'm not sure if or when I'll find anything.

If you are going to order them soon, and don't like them, I'll buy them.

Oberon Safety Products:

UV Protection from UVA & UVB.
Many industrial applications have the potential to emit
large quantities of UV energy. The Clear UV Protective
Series faceshields provides 100% protection* from UV
energy from 200nm to 405nm. <-------------- For clear shield only
Meets ANSI Z87.1
This protection may be extended with accessories.

These faceshields provide unique protection and comfort.
The Cobalt II Blue faceshield is used in Steel Mills to
filter the yellow Sodium Flare. The Didymium II Blue is <--------------- Still looking for the definition of Didymium II
used in Glassworking.

The Oberon Company is located in New Bedford, Massachusetts
http://www.oberonsafety.com

I'll send them an email.
I am wondering if you could provide me some information about your Didymium II safety coating.
Is “Didymium II” an industry standard or is it an Oberon Company description?
Could you direct me to a definition for Didymium II?
Could you direct me to a place where I can find out more information about Didymium II?
Are spectrum transmission charts for Didymium II available to the public, and if so, would you be able to send me a copy?

I found an archived Wet Canvas thread that discussed lampworking safety. Apparently at one time (2006) the AuraLens site had a link to one of their pages offering an opinion on the product "Didymium II", but it seems that page is no longer available.

CAUTION -- evaluation of Didymium II in a LampworkETC thread:

I found a link to a LampworkETC thread that says the Didymium II lenses by Oberon are not recommended for lampworking. Mike Aurelius posts in this thread, and mentions the page that gives an evaluation of Didymium II, but that page is no longer available. The results of this thread do not rely on the evaluation by Mike Aurelius, but from a friend of LE user Gardengirl. Gardengirl said "She tried out the glasses one night and complained that she couldn't see a darn thing while she was torching. She took them back and the store replaced them with real dyidiums so now everything is just fine and she has the proper eyewear.!" in post #10 of this thread: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7308

Last edited by De Anza Art Glass Club; 2016-01-28 at 11:50pm.