View Single Post
Old 2018-03-03, 5:52pm

Talking Update and photos

I’m not sure whether to place these photos in the gallery or here, or both. But since they pertain specifically to my original question posted here, I’m going to start with them here (see next two posts under this). I’m pretty happy with how the orchids turned out although as usual photos don’t do them justice. Some real disappointment with some of the UV reactive glass and some I really like.

The pinks (both versions I used were a disappointment - Lucy was one), even done as raised dots or on top of lighter color and thick surface application, they barely show up. What’s interesting is in the photos it does but not in real life UV lighting. Mainly on that upper petal of the lady slipper orchid, with the dots. Those dots are supposed to be pink, not the background part of the petal.

The blue, I’ll have to tell the name later as I don’t have the glass handy, was 50/50 on how well it worked. Pretty much no change on the dots on the slipper bulb between regular light and UV. But, on a pendant I did, it reacts really well as a backer. What was bizarre was some glass that wasn’t supposed to react did. I made a bubble trap “flower” compression with the diluted boro glow stick. It worked very easily and looks just like a dandelion puff ball in normal light, but doesn’t glow AT ALL in UV. However, the NS Forest Green I used for leaves doesn’t show at all in normal light against the UV blue and then floresces LOTS in UV.

The Uranium neon green however performed BRILLIANTLY. On top of anything, by itself, mixed w clear to make it go farther... it performs stellarly. The least amount of UV makes it glow.

Another note, on the ladyslipper, the little pouch cover part over the bulb, that looks bright glowing white (like a lightbulb) is a boro bar glow stick. It really glows with UV but isn’t really THAT bright. It does retain some glow once the light is off it for just a second. It does have to be used pretty much full strength. In the roots on the lava stone, I mixed it with clear about 3:1 (3 being glow bar). The root to the right doesn’t glow at all under UV. But I wanted some level of transparency on the roots, so wouldn’t go full strength anyway. The white part on the Ghost Orchids are also the Boro Stick glow. In UV photo they look pinkish; that is camera play... in real life they glow white.

Some notes on UV lighting... the 50 or so LED bulb UV flashlight works the best. I got a 6” strip of LED lights and they’re barely strong enough. The floresent style bulbs are almost useless. The pieces also need to be in a black box type setting to really show off to potential.

Now let’s see if I can get the pics loaded...OK this is going to take a bit of work. Image sizes are waaaaaayyyy too big. I’ll upload those separately when I figure out how.

Last edited by WOBGnut; 2018-03-03 at 7:25pm. Reason: Got photos in next post, adding note