View Single Post
Old 2009-02-04, 1:14pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAS View Post
Yes, it would be great to have the glass packed differently and at least one rod labeled but oh Sadie, please don't suggest a price increase as an exchange for different packaging or the rods to be labeled. So many of us (me included) couldn't afford to pay a higher price right now. This is wonderful glass at an affordable price offered at a time when a good deal is hard to come by.

Anyway, that said, I have a question for the Devardi testers. Have you tried the glass in a press yet? The past few days I've been making Anne's Chintz beads using Lauscha, Moretti and Devardi for the bases. None were encased but all were pressed in a lentil press. At least half of the Devardi beads cracked down the middle along the mandrel line. All others were fine. Any thoughts? I do plan to try again but will heat the press on a heat plate. Thanks for any help. Kas
I haven't played with Devardi, but I'm sure you already know that cracking along the mandrel is a thermal crack. When I 1st switched to 96, I had that problem a couple of times because the stiffer glass cooled more quickly. Here's what I learned:

1. Make sure your glass is hot and press quickly.
2. You may have to press multiple times, but be sure to reheat after each press.
3. Have your press elevated to the level of your torch so that you don't have to travel as far to press (losing heat in the meantime).

After a while, you get used to the way the glass works and you won't have any issues. I no longer have to repress multiple times, for the most part because I know exactly how hot to get the glass and how fast to move.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.