View Single Post
Old 2011-02-03, 9:35am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
I have a few of questions:

1. Where is a good tut on cane making?

2. How do you apply your frit? (ie from a marver, trough, etc.)

3. When using silver foil over a base like light aqua, do you choose a NON-reactive frit, then reduce to get the silver veiney look? I used multi yesterday and reduced and got one very shiney ball ... which is NOT the look I was going for.

4. And what is the best way to make a Size 2 frit Size 1 or powder??

Thanks in advance.
1. The one I learned from is the Doug Remschneider video "Boro Bead Magic": http://www.artcoinc.com/remschneider.php

2. I apply it from a stainless steel 1/2 tsp measuring spoon, which sits in a little dish to catch overflow. When applying, I pick up the spoon and bring the frit to the bead, just below the flame.

3. Yes, if you want to reduce just the silver, you must be sure to use a frit that doesn't also reduce. Sometimes, however, you can reduce and then oxidize, and the frit will return to non-reduced while the silver remains shiny.

4. What FourTails said! Usually if I make my own frit, I heat and then quench the glass, strain it, let it dry, and then crunch it up a bit in a coffee grinder. I then sift it by size. It's kind of a pain so I prefer to just buy pre-sized frit!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.