View Single Post
Old 2008-03-17, 4:44pm

Quote:
Thanks for the link DeAnne
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'd love to know what the annealing bubble stuff actually "is". I've requested samples of aerogels from a manufacturer just to play with but according to the MSDS and tech literature, it doesn't have a high enough temperature range. It tops out around 750F. I'm still going to plunge a hot bead into it (in a safe environment) and if it ignites, we'll put it out, it not, I want to see how the bead comes out aesthetically.

I know there are companies that sell perlite specifically for high temp insulation useage. I'm not sure if the garden variety is the same, pardon the pun.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I do know that the more the material is comprised of air, the better it insulates. What I don't know yet, is the temp/time requirements for proper annealing. Not yet....

I also came across a company that makes the insulating bricks for kilns. They have a "grog" that I think is the same material as the insulating bricks, just in loose form. The problem with that material is the mention on the MSDS that is contains 450ppm or uranium and some other nasty material that luckily, was in low enough concentrations that it doesn't require registration with the NRC.
Safe to say, that one is off my list of materials to experiment with.

After spending a few minutes talking to one of our more knowledgeable engineers, I had considered a mixture of one of the materials in a column pre heated by a $15 heat gun to reduce the quenching of the bead when put into the insulating material. This is where you may want to picture in your mind, a Rube Goldberg bead annealer.

It'd be kinda neat to do just to do it.....or.......pay the $7 for the gallon that would probably last a few years.
Well, after using the garden variety of perlite for several years, I can say it doesn't melt, LOL. And it does slow cooling enough to insulate beads to survive

I didn't have a kiln for several years and the vast majority of my beads lived (not counting say, the first six months worth) lived to get annealed in my kiln.

Purely anecdotal evidence, but...considering the crack rate of test beads I let air cool...good enough for me, and worth the $5 on the bag of perlite.

You sound like my uncle with your posts...he's a physicist, LOL. Something tells me you have a high science/engineering background? I've actually heard (read) of aerogels, mostly through sci-fi novels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!