View Single Post
Old 2011-09-22, 3:12am

Question Birthday studio going drastically wrong - would appreciate some advice!

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum but hoping that as I get more into lampworking I can contribute and get to know the place better! I wondered however if I could get some advice from the members about my studio which I have been trying to set up as a birthday present to myself - shame it's been a bit of a catastrophe so far. I learnt lampworking in Berlin where I was living last year, so setting up a studio has been hard work trying to reconcile German, UK and US guidance on lampworking tools etc. I bought a torch from a German supplier who makes his torches from scratch, which was recommended to me by a professional lampworker in Berlin, and my dad said he'd give me a gas canister he had. I've now found out that the canister contains butane and isn't compatible with the torch. Although the guy who makes the torches says that it works well with butane, everything I read online says that butane is too cold for lampworking, and since I'd now have to buy an adapter to fit the torch to the tank I really need to figure out if it will work before I go buying anything else I'm unsure about. Could anyone out there give me some tips on where I should go from here or their experience of working with butane? I'd be so grateful for any guidance.

Thank you!