View Single Post
Old 2014-12-01, 11:02pm

Default Recipe for Electroforming (Copper)

Hi All!
As I have wanted to give back for all of the knowledge that I have accumulated from you very generous lampworkers, I am sharing this recipe for an electroforming solution so that you can electroform (copper coat thicker than plating) your beads or whatever objects that you desire.

Compared to purchasing an electroforming solution, this is really cheap.

What you will need: (This makes 3 gallons, so if you need less, break it down accordingly)

1. A blue plastic water jug...at least 3 gallons, preferably 5 gallons

2. Large funnel

3. 3 gallons distilled water

4. 2.5 pounds of copper sulfate crystals (check hardware or swimming pool supply stores)

5. 1 pint sulfuric acid (most auto parts stores, such as Napa, have this and call it simply battery acid)

6. "New Copper Brightener Part B" (www.caswellplating.com the only thing you will have to order for the solution)

The big thing to remember is "DO WHAT YOU OUGHTER, ADD ACID TO WATER". Remember this little ditty when you are making up the solution.

Mixing instructions: You might want to wear a mask and nitrile gloves to mix this. Safety first

1. Pour 2 1/2 gallons of the distilled water into the jug.
2. Start pouring in the copper sulfate crystals...use the funnel if you have to. Pour in part of the crystals (1/4 to 1/2) put the lid on the jug and agitate the ****out of it...shake rattle and roll. Pour in more crystals and do some more agitating. Do this until the crystals are no longer dissolving...that means the solution has reached maximum concentration.
3. Add the whole pint of sulfuric/battery acid. Agitate some more!
4. Add about 1 TBL of the "New Copper Brightener Part B". Agitate!
5. If you have a 3 gallon jug and there is room, top it off with more distilled water. Don't do this if you have the 5 gal. jug as the extra room is for easier agitating and the solution will become too weak.

You are done with the solution. Pour what you need into your electroforming bath container. When you are done (hours, days, weeks, whatever) run it through a filter back into the jug.

It is also handy to put a cheap aquarium pump into the solution while you are electroforming.

Follow your electroforming instructions using "Copper Conductive Paint" on non-metallic objects (also order from www.caswellplating.com ). Porous objects need to be lacquered first. Glass does not. Copper conductive paint and copper wire provides the conduit for the current. Paint your design on the object, bead etc and attach your copper wire from the negative (cathode) somewhere to the paint.

This is not intended to be a complete electroforming tutorial, which can be extensive...just to give you the recipe. Electroforming instructions can be found online. http://www.katefowle.com/pages/tips.php

I will post a photo of some items that I have done using this solution.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.