View Single Post
Old 2015-06-19, 7:57pm

Default From a mom- thank you

Thank you, beadmakers, for all your time and hard work in making beads for Beads of Courage. My daughter had open heart surgery last summer and we were started on BOC in the hospital and just today received our second shipment through the distance program.

She is two now and sits attentively in my lap awed by the beads. Although she doesn't fully understand, her sisters and I explain each bead to her as we string them. The beads are so beautiful and they have a weight to them that feels meaningful.

She uses a combination of speech, sign language, and a high-tech AAC device to communicate. When we were stringing beads today, she kept saying "bee" (bead) and used her talker to say "more", "good", and "joy".

Her prized bead is a sweet white kitty (her *favorite* animal). Every time we pull the beads out, she lovingly kisses or hugs the kitty. This was an Act of Courage bead from pre-op testing before her open heart surgery.

You are making a difference! Thank you for what all of you have done for countless families out there.