View Single Post
Old 2014-10-25, 4:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
#1 - I very rarely dunk beads in my water, but I do use it to stick my finger in if I burn myself to quickly cool the burn, and have used it once when something was smoldering on my bench. Do you have fire extinguishers handy? Or buckets of water, sand, etc. in case something does catch fire?
It was forwarded that the lack of a cup of water was a safety violation separate from any firefighting concerns. I had 3x1 gallon water jugs nearby for that. (The inspector tagged me for that too claiming I lacked a fire extinguisher, even though if I started a fire I could not put out with several 1 gallon water jugs, a little ABC dry chem ain't gonna cut it either.

Quote:
#2 - 8 feet to the side, in front, what? In any case I think 8 feet is more than is needed.
anywhere, like only me anywhere within a 180 degree arc around the front of the torch. 3-4' behind was ok.

Quote:
I do have a plexiglass screen that I used to keep hot glass from shooting into the shelving past my torch table, because there was a lot of flammable materials in that area and I didn't want hot glass landing in it.
I can understand that

Quote:
#3 - I've heard you can ruin tools by putting them in the flame, and some metals can give off gases, so I don't do it except for my tungsten.
but for a 1 time 3 hour class held outdoors, I would any outgassings would be pretty much irrelevant. My tools are some assorted harbor freight cheapo pliers and probe/pick tools, all of them put together would cost about $10 to replace.

Quote:
#4 - I have heard that you should point the rod away from anyone if possible until it is warm, and try to do it, but don't always remember. I'm trying to make it a habit.
I am not totally against adapting to this if this is a meaningful safety issue although for the reasons I cited I don't like it.

Last edited by onesweetjedi; 2014-10-25 at 4:14pm.