View Single Post
Old 2018-08-02, 6:35pm
Phill

I have not set up such a tank system myself.

But I will share some thoughts on the issue with you.

First is the idea of residual oil contaminating the inside of the tank.

Oil and very pure oxygen goes boom very badly, even worse under pressure.

Think World War II aircraft bomb about the same size as the tank.
They don't just crack open, they turn into instant shrapnel at near the speed of light for all intents and purposes.

Next thought; Rust.
Rust is made up of ferrous metal and OXYGEN.

If there is rusty metal inside the tank filling the tank with purified oxygen is going to 'encourage' more rust and adding pressurized oxygen will most likely speed up the rusting process.

If you are lucky it MAY only produce a pin hole to allow the pressure to escape.

As for getting the rust out I have seen videos of machine shops loading the tank with sharp edged gravel and them rotating the tank for several days and nights, rinsing and reloading the rock once a day until the rinse water runs totally clear but they were only salvaging the tank to use for compressed air.

If you plan on running a tanked system at anything like the 2300 PSI that Homefil units put out you will be better off buying used oxygen tanks from retiring welders and such and then having the tanks re certified by a retail welding gas distributor where they open the tank by taking off the valve stem and visually inspect the interior then overhauling the valve stem and pressure testing it to DOT standards and certifying in writing that it meets code requirements.

Or you could just buy certified tanks from a welding gas supplier ( the cheaper /safest route) and tie them together with high pressure hose.

Particles of rust getting through to your torch in a high pressure oxygen tank system are really the least of your worries.
All of the above is assuming you are putting together a high pressure system.

If, however, you are just putting together a low pressure 15 PSI system so you can dump a high volume of low pressure oxygen into your torch for a two minute run to heat soak a large marble or something then you can 'get away with' a thoroughly cleaned, rust free, clean metal tank that has had the interior well coated in a rust preventive paint.

As I said I am not thoroughly knowledgeable on building tanking systems but I have been trained in the Navy on safety disasters and their 'after action analysis' for 17 years back in the 1980s and 90s.

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2018-08-02 at 6:40pm.