View Single Post
Old 2019-09-18, 4:10am

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafford.glassworks View Post
Ok so today was my first day on the torch! Yay! wow it's a little harder than it looks for sure. So a couple questions:

Is the puffy matierial inside the kiln and inside the kiln door supposed to be removed? I put the three larger bricks under the kiln but what are the three tiny bricks for? I'm assuming you put them under te kiln shelf but i want to make sure.

Next question: I've got shade 3 didymiums for Divardi and also shade 5 clip ons. I'm going to be doing smallish boro work mostly. I have bad eyes and ususally use reading glasses. Can you get rx Didymium lenses or something similar or should I just use the clip-ons?

I turn on the propane tank, then the oxygen, then light the propane on the torch, reduce to a small flame. then turn on the oxygen, but its still making a popping sound...

I'm sure I'll think of more noob questions soon lol.
The puffy stuff is high temp fiber blanket, it helps insulate and retain heat. It does shed sometimes and should be gently vacuumed from the area. Not good to touch or breathe. Yes on the bricks. The smaller ones are called kiln furniture or posts and you got it...They are there to elevate the kiln shelf for even heating, usually for fusing.

Shade 5 is going to be a bit dark for small boro, I use 3. You can get Rx through Aura for boro and didys with reading glass strength built in. I've got the shade 3 with +1.50. They're the bomb.

That popping is startling isn't it? You'll find the sweet spot. What kind of torch is it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.