View Single Post
Old 2018-04-12, 5:25pm
Phill

There is a metric ton of information on ventilation in the safety threads and in the studio threads as well.

I did safety training for a lot of the ships I served on in the Navy over 17 years and one thing is certain for your shedio;
You MUST have sizable, suitable forced air ventilation if you don't want to poison your self or contaminate your family with the heavy metals that are used in coloring glass.

Look up the minimum contamination levels for cobalt (blue), copper (greens) and cadmium (yellow I think).

This stuff is nothing to mess around with.

A box fan in a window fighting off a 5 mile an hour wind is like a candle compared to the sun.

You would be better off knocking out the walls on all four sides or just working under an awning on a patio table.

Do a search ventilation for a list of the discussions about it.

Contaminates like lead and other heavy metals boil out of the glass and fall on the work bench like a dust cloud and get all over your hands, tools and everything you touch and unless you 1)wear disposable gloves and do surgical decontamination routines every time you melt glass.

That stuff will then wind up on your hands that you use to make dinner with and that allows you to share it with every one in your family.

Kristins picture will work just fine but you have to have an electric fan pushing at least 875 cubic feet of air per minute and that minimum is only if you are working in a barley box with a 2 foot high by 3 foot wide open front.

Check with a local heating and ventilation company. they usually have fully functional furnace blower fans that they have to pay the junk man to get rid of and will often give them to you free.

Mine is a squirrel cage from a 100,000 but furnace we replaced in our 2 story 4 bedroom home.

Don't pretend to do this ventilation good enough. It could really really physically hurt you and those you love in a permanent way.