View Single Post
Old 2006-12-15, 5:22am
Safety ALWAYS

There is no safe way to keep propane in your house. Period. End of discussion.

There is NO SUCH THING as a safe box for propane. Propane will explode and level a house and no box could ever contain the blast.

Propane is neutral to hot and cold air temperatures. When it is hot outside the pressure in the tank rises slightly. When it is cold outside the pressure in the tank drops a bit. It is not a safety issue. The issue is protecting the regulator from the weather. I live in Minnesota. My weather is probably as extreme as yours is -- we routinely get 95+ degrees F in the summer and -30 F in the winter. I torch year round. My tank is outside, kept in a plastic storage box to protect the regulator.

There are lots of commercial businesses that use propane indoors as well -- but the difference is the size of the building and the amount of fresh air in the building. A propane tank on a forklift can leak, and most likely the propane will not explode because of the size of the interior space. A propane tank in a room of a house can leak and most likely it WILL explode because of the small size of the interior space. It all has to do with concentration of fumes.

On a mobile home, the tank is OUTSIDE. If there is a leak, it will leak to the atmosphere and there is little chance of an explosion.

Please. For your sake, and that of your family, get the propane tank OUT of your house.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.