View Single Post
Old 2007-01-01, 4:18pm
IMAHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachalot View Post
Please forgive me if I'm repeating a question. I'm trying to set up an indoor space to work and want to make it as safe as possible. If I am understanding the previous comment I need flexible metallic hose to go from the tank to the hard metal pipe (copper?) through the wall and once inside can connect the hoses? And I think I read somewhere that there should be a on/off valve on both ends of the hard pipe?

Please do not use copper for your gas lines in side the house! You should be using steel/black pipe, galvanized or the new flex pipe for interior applications. The latter is expensive- the fittings are ~$11 each, but apparently you save on the pipe fitting labor by using it.

I know that my gas company has, on occasion, run *shudder* 3/8" copper, above ground to my house. That is so bad- it is soft and can be broken/pierced easily. Now at least they are better about trenching it in immediately. As a matter of fact, they are doing it tomorrow!

Yes, you need a valve for every appliance and a main valve where it comes into the house, and also a valve outside the house if you can, in case the valve on the tank itself fails/leaks. This way, no matter if you are in the house, or outside, if you suspect a gas leak, you can shut off the gas.

You need to use the stainless flex to go from your tank outside to the hard plumbing inside the house. This is also the way that gas stoves are connected inside the house, so that you can move the stove for cleaning or repair without damagine the gas lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Free your mind and your glass will follow"