View Single Post
Old 2006-01-08, 5:39am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
Cindy, I think you hit on a good point... it is different. It definitely doesn't move as fast as soft glass in the same flame... but if you work soft glass in a boro flame, you run into the same problems. It's all about heat control and having the right tools for the job. While boro requires more heat to move at a good beadmaking pace, it pretty much stops moving when you pull it out of the flame. That's something I really had to get used to with soft glass (I dropped glass all over my table for a while )... once soft glass is liquid, it stays liquid much longer. With boro, once the heat is removed, it stiffens up really quickly. This ability to work in slower motion, lends to a lot more control. I imagine what ever glass you learned with, you will have some adjusting when you try the other. Both hold some really insightful lesson about the other glass. I find the similarities far outweigh the differences in the long run. Every little trick or technique can be applied somewhere in working the other glass.
Thanks for validating my point and not looking at me like I have 3 heads! You make a good point about boro - how it stiffens up immediately when it's out of the flame! Arghhhh - that's the thing I think for me with it - so much of the art of soft glass is working with it after it's out of the flame because it's holding that heat and you're managing the heat.

Like you said, there is a learning curve and I'm wanting to work with boro tubing (call me sick but I LOVE to pull points! It's like pulling stringer in soft glass It's not the color of boro I like because that's a whole 'nother issue - it's what you can do with it!

My wish list fund is for an oxy generator - if there will be an oxycon that can put out the heat I need for a bigger torch (I'm thinking piranah or barracuda) then I'm in! Tell me where, when and if it's $600.00 I'm halfway there in savings!!

Good thread (hope I can find it again!
Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.