View Single Post
Old 2007-05-04, 5:49am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by skookum View Post
I went from a HH to a mini cc and I LOVE the mini cc. The knobs can get roasty if a small flame is used instead of a bushy flame.
I run my mini cc with natural gas on a single concentrator and it works just fine. I make BIG beads with my setup so sorry Cosmo, I disagree with your statement about not recommending the mini cc with a single oxy-con.
I suggest to try the torches out that you have an interest in. Torches can be personal.
There is a learning curve with any torch and how steep you make it is up to you. I didn't have a steep curve at all. What you have learned will not go out the window, you may have to fine-tune, but you won't be throwing out.
You can certainly make big things on a Mini CC with a single concentrator. But it's much easier and quicker with a different torch, or with two concentrators on a Mini CC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonker View Post
See, there's the whole problem. We all started off on a hothead. Then we decided we wanted a little more control over the flame and a little more heat so we buy torch number two. It's usually the bottom of the line the next step up. We get that and go OMG!!!! I didn't know what flame control was. MORE!!! The next thing ya know....you have a hothead, a minor burner, a pirhana, a red max and a mirage. Sheeeesh. Okay that might only be specific to me, but I bet there are other similar tales. I wish I had thought at least one torch farther down the road than I had along the way, I would have saved tons of money.

I'll throw my 2 cents worth in here. You buy a bottom of the line GTT torch as your next step up and the chances are you can get almost all of your money back when you trade up. You'll be able to get some of it back with the others. (Don't get me wrong, you'll be happy with any of the ones mentioned here. I've heard nothing but good things about all of them). There is an economic element to consider as well though. The bottom of the line GTT torch is the centerfire for all of the torches they make, and I use it 75% of the time. Boro, softglass, doesn't matter.

No matter what you choose, you're going to love the difference of that step up. Good luck
Actually, the bottom of the line GTT is the Bobcat, which has only one oxygen knob (like most torches). The Lynx is the next step up, which is a triple-mix torch. It is the one used as the center fire of the other torches.

Knight does the same thing with their Bullet Burner. The center fire of the Bullet Burner is the 7 port Little Dragon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramdas View Post
Wonker, the Lynx is a triple surface mix torch...WHAT'S THAT NOW?! I'm only seeing 2 hoses....I'm so wet behind the ears when it comes to torches! Enough to scare me back to my trusty HH! <confusion sets in, overwhelmed lampworker sits down and shakes head> LOL I like the idea of good resale value- then I won't stress my original choice so much!

Thank you all for the responses!!!!
A triple mix torch is one that has two oxygen knobs and a propane knob. There is a scientific reason behind it, but the main principal is that the more oxygen you can get through a torch, the hotter it will be. The way the flame mixes it combusts better and gets hotter. I don't claim to know the details about why it works, so I won't go into that. I will say, however, you have to pay to play. A Lynx, even used, usually goes for over $400.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cosmo; 2007-05-04 at 5:52am.