View Single Post
Old 2006-01-12, 4:50pm

Hi Rose, Let's start with "the tank has to be outside", it doesn't. The only thing that is really dangerous about tanked oxy is if the tank is knocked over and the top breaks off, then you could have a cannon running through your house and your walls. That's why you need to chain it. Oxygen supports combustion, but will not ignite even if you stick a match to it, unlike propane, which does have to be outside because of the flamability.

With regard to the regulators, I have no clue why a welding supply company would be "dumbstruck" when you asked about regulators. There are many different sizes and types of regulators and the good ones last forever - mine are over 35 years old and still function perfectly. Look at the ones offered at some of the beadmaking suppliers, like Frantz, Arrow Springs, Wale and that can give you a point of reference. Generally, the bigger they are the more expensive. Two stage regulators are the best, but cost more, and are not absolutely necessary by any means, just a convenience.

How long your tank will last is completely dependent on what size tank you get, what kind of torch you use and what kind of beads you make. Using boro will generally use up the oxy faster than working with soft glass. And you don't need to use it every day. I didn't torch at all in December and the amount of oxy in the tank didn't change at all. Just make sure to shut off your tank after every session and unless the shut-off valve has a leak you won't loose anything.
Pam