View Single Post
Old 2015-04-18, 2:04pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
The purpose of the Italian style rod heater isn't to "hold" your rods, but to preheat them to prevent shocking. If you use boro, or glass that isn't shocky, it's kind of a waste of money. If all you need is a rod rest, the boro rod trick mentioned above works great and is super cheap.
I use mine in the small kiln to preheat rods, and to soak parts while I'm working on something else. example, lower torso, pelvic area and thighs are done, in the kiln soaking resting on my rest, while I work on the lower legs. That way I can quickly get them back to temp and they are evenly hot to start, attack the lower leg, make the patella, add the muscle definition, turn and create the tendons and hollow at the back of the knee, and put it back in to soak while I do the other lower leg, and repeat. Sure it takes two kilns, but that's always the case for me. I put all the previously formed part in on the rack cold and ramp it up, as well as any rods that may be an issue.
"Dissents speak to a future age. It's not simply to say, 'My colleagues are wrong and I would do it this way.' But the greatest dissents do become court opinions and gradually over time their views become the dominant view. So that's the dissenter's hope: that they are writing not for today but for tomorrow." -R.B. Ginsburg.