View Single Post
Old 2008-12-11, 8:40am

I tend to agree with you Pam. I have purchased a couple of tutorials for the specific reason of knowing I could use the technique in my own beads. I purchased Pipyr's eye tut for using in my own family of face beads. I purchased Lydia's tut to because I already had in mind what I was going to create with it (still workin' on that) but I would never want to make an exact copy of someone elses bead and sell it. I would not want to buy a "famous" bead that was an exact copy of the original artist either. I think anyone who has been lampworking for a few years can copy any bead with an instruction booklet. That's just not where it's at for me.

But.....when you put these tutorials out there, some people will copy the beads and some won't be interested in doing that weather you say so or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
Well, I suppose I shouldn't be shocked, but I guess I am anyway. I would never have expected someone to put a "warning label" on a tutorial, just as I would never expect a "warning label" for a class. I just never considered that anyone would buy a tutorial, or take a class, so they could learn to duplicate the beads used in the class to teach the technique. Of course everyone knows that in order to learn a technique you must apply the technique and I was under the impression that those beads were shown in order to teach the technique. To copy the instructor's bead while learning is sometimes a necessity, but other times, just seeing how the technique is done is enough to take off in another direction using the technique. Well, as I said, reading this thread is really an eye-opening experience.

Just curiously, why would anyone go to the trouble of creating a tutorial that they will then sell for $15 if the tutorial shows and gives permission to the tutorial buyer to make the author's signature bead that they sell for, say, $35?

Obviously I have been looking at this all wrong from the beginning, I really thought it was about sharing knowledge of lampworking, not a pattern to be followed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.