View Single Post
Old 2008-12-11, 10:10am

Just in case I'm being vaguely referred to here - this is a quote from the last page of "Think Pink":

Quote:
So, now that I’ve purchased and read the tutorials, can I make ‘Flower Child’ and ‘Barbie Bling’ beads and sell them? Or would that be considered “copying”?

To be honest, I don’t know. I used to spend a lot of time thinking about such issues. These days, I have more interesting things to think about - so I’m going to leave this one up to your own judgment.
If I were you, I wouldn’t want to be known as someone who sells other artists’ signature designs, so I’d probably play around with the techniques to develop something I could call my own. Like I said, whether you do that or not is up to you.
Is there something wrong with saying this?

As I may have... errr... mentioned once or twice, the "Am I copying you?" question is one I get asked often, and I assume people want to know my honest opinion, so that is my honest opinion. I have no expectations of no one ever selling similar designs, and I would never "go after" someone who did.

As I have said before, I still think everyone should do what feels right to them. No guilt trips intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
I just realized that each and every book by Jim Kervin has a section at the end about "Developing Your Own Style" where Jim talks about selling knockoffs of the artist's work. I am looking right now at the section in the book on Akihirio. He (Jim) makes an interesting statement, "Use this information as a springboard to develope your own style". Fantastic! I couldn't have said it better!!! That statement doesn't make me feel guilty for making the beads. It makes me WANT to make my own beads, using the techniques I learned in the book.

Now, why is a statement like this okay in Jim's book, and not okay in a tutorial? (Really, Jim's books are small collections of tutorials) I don't see anyone complaining about the statements in Jim's books. Why are we complaining about similar statements in tutorials? Are tutorials (and by inference, tutorial writers) less in some way? I am just really confused.
I was thinking of this too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

Last edited by sarah_hornik; 2008-12-11 at 10:29am. Reason: typo