View Single Post
Old 2010-09-22, 11:06am
Experimentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
... An author may think everything is nice and clear because they know the subject they are writing about. But, it may not be that way for the person buying it.
This can't be emphasized enough. I have done this as well as fallen victim to it.

No one does it on purpose, but it can happen easily and frequently.

That's why it's so important (IMO) to get feedback (ideally BEFORE you put the tutorial up for sale).

I know there has been some talk about authors being verbose and/or too intricate/detailed (aka "dumbing down") with their instructions, but the bottom line is that you have to write for your lowest common denominator... not for the few who may be well-versed in the subject already.

I go into a tutorial with the idea that the person reading it knows NOTHING about the subject (unless the tutorial is specifically stated as being higher-level). But even then, I find that I put things in that aren't common knowledge. So having others test drive the tutorial gives me the opportunity to see from others' perspective... and fix things before going to market.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.