View Single Post
Old 2006-06-26, 11:03am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
A Herbie is something I've never used. And, quite frankly, they look a little scary to me...
They do look a little scary to some people. I was taking Makenzie for a spin through the technical exhibit area at the GAS conference and when we passed by one, she cried. Personally, I find them interesting. Not too many people know how they work.

The thing about Herbies is that they tune them at the factory for your specific application. So, if you work soft thin hollows, that is what they tune it for. If you work hard solids, that it what they tune it for. Everything is preset at the factory, so when you get it home, you just adjust the one control knob. The more you turn the knob, the center fire turns on, and then the next ring of fire comes on, and then the third ring...

The down side is that if you have your HA configured for one thing (hollow work, for example), it won't be very effective for other work (solid work, for example). And, if you start messing with the hex nuts and stuff other than the one control knob, you are asking for trouble.

To get around this, guys with HAs will often put inline regulators up at the torch so they can control the flame that way.